RECIPES: Cassoulet by Ratinaud French Cuisine
3 cups dried navy beans
2 tbsp duck fat
2 Ratinaud Toulouse sausages
1 200g chunk Ratinaud
pancetta, cut into quarters
1/2 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp tomato paste
1/2 cup white wine
2 confit-cooked duck legs
2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra
for garnish if desired
2 bay leaves
6 cups duck or chicken stock
- Place navy beans in a large bowl, cover with cold water and soak 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300°
- On the stove top, pre-heat a large oven-safe pot that has a tight fitting oven-safe lid.
- Add duck fat to pot and melt.
- Add sausage and pancetta to pot and sear until browned.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add tomato paste and continue to cook for two minutes.
- Add white wine and scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Continue to cook until wine is reduced by half.
- Drain beans and add to pot. Give everything a good stir then add stock.
- Add duck legs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves.
- Place cover on pot and bake in the oven for two hours. The stew should look creamy and the beans should be tender.